Friday, January 2, 2009

Before You're Too Old

Another year has passed
And we're all a little older.

Last summer felt hotter
And winter seems much colder.
I rack my brain for happy thoughts,
To put down on my pad,

But lots of things, That come to mind
Just make me kind of sad.

There was a time not long ago
When life was quite a blast.

Now I fully understand
About 'Living in the Past'.

We used to go to friends homes,
Baseball games and lunches.

Now we go to therapy, to hospitals,
And after-funeral brunches.

We used to have hangovers,
From parties that were gay.

Now we suffer body aches
And sleep the night away.

We used to go out dining,
And couldn't get our fill.

Now we ask for doggie bags,
Come home and take a pill.

We used to travel often
To places near and far.

Now we get backaches
From riding in the car.

We used to go out shopping
For new clothing at the Mall

But, now we never bother...
All the sizes are too small.

That, my friend is how life is,
And now my tale is told.

So, enjoy each day and live it up...
Before you're too old!

Something2Share:

I begin to enjoy my retirement for the 1st month in December 2008. At least I am now stress-free from work related problems. Moreover, now I have time catching up with old friends and making new friends.

All these while, I had been working in places far away from Segamat, especially the the past 5 years in Indonesia. I seldom had time for my family, let alone my friends in Segamat, Johor Baru and other places in Malaysia.

I really appreciate my old friend from Sydney, David Vun Thien Ngan, who charted a taxi to visit us in Segamat on 21 December 2008 with his wife and 2 children. They put up 2 nights in Johor Baru before they continued their vacation trip to China. Now they are back in Kota Kinabalu to visit their relatives. They will be in Kuala Lumpur on 10 January 2009 for a couple of days. I intend to meet them again before they return to Australia. The last time we met up was October 2005 when we were in Sydney.

Another year (2008) had passed as we celebrated the count down of the coming of 2009, am I a little older? I wish all my friends a year wiser and in good health! I just met my ex-Chief Clerk of Segamat Estate, Pathma, last evening. He is now operating a small sundry shop in Taman Bukit Baru, Bukit Siput. He told me that "he is now 71 years old." We had a good laugh when I told him that he should feel 17 as "I am feeling 26 in heart." We had a good working relationship when I was Manager for Segamat Estate in 1992/1993.

Now I can have regular exercise, going for morning walk on the green green grass of the golf course in Segamat Country Club, and to breathe in more fresh air. One day a Mr.Tan told us that "the golfers normally have to shout Balls before they tee off so that no body will walk into the fairway and being hit by a flying golf ball." On hearing that, I suggested that "why not we also shout after taking a deep breath to blow out the air in our lungs since we are earlier than the golfers? " He agreed and from that day onward, we also have our lung exercise as well and we can feel sweat flowing down from our foreheads after shouting for 3 times.

How true it is that we should "enjoy each day and live it up!" When we realize that everyday is a blessing from GOD, then we won't have anything to worry about as we grow a little older.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Max, that is a good article you have posted.

Maybe I would like to hear more from you,how you spend your retirement days.Get yourself occupied and maybe is a good time you help your wife in her shop.

Now I am thinking what to do when i retire later? Must get the mind working and something to look forward everyday.

Anonymous said...

Nicely said my dear sifu friend. I wish u the best of health & luck all the time. Hope we can catch up one of these days.

3kidsmama said...

Happy New Year to you, Uncle Loh, and Happy Retirement!!

Anonymous said...

Hi max,
Sounds like you are selling retirement club memberships. It seems to be working well. I may be convince to joining you soon and leave the money chasing club to those boys and girls who have no bearing of what they really want from life. We have all been chasing the virtual world around us that we live in and forgotten that the real life is in our heart.

Anonymous said...

Hello my dear friend ,really envy you the way you handle your life , retired man n yet so optismistic, always 26 in heart. But myself always said our body have 3 portions .Upper part might looks orang tua.but middle part always feel like orang dewasa and bottom part always orang muda which sometimes tends to be a little impulsive .

Anyway from all the mail i received, you must be enjoying life every movement. Really want to learn from u how to make it !

How about make a trip to sabah as you have many old buddies here .

jmtan2007.blogspot.com said...

Good article on retirement. Welcome to the YB (Yang Bersara) Club. U can't be working all your life. U deserve a good rest after all the years of working away from your family and home. Now that all your children have finished their studies, it's time to take a good long awaited rest and spend more time with your family and catch up with old friends. As for me, I spend my time visiting my chidren who are working in Penang and Ipoh. Also doing a lot of reading and TV watching.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for your good articles. My wife and I enjoy very much reading them. She use some of the articles for her meeting as well.