Monday, October 6, 2008

I Hope You Sing - Put Your Head On My Shoulder

The 1st single record I bought was “My Hometown” sung by Paul Anka. It was 1959, the year I joined the Remove Class in Clifford Secondary School, Kuala Lipis, Pahang. I had completed my primary education in Chung Hwa Chinese School.

Somehow I was told that one way to improve my English was listening to English songs. From then on, I tried to save my pocket money and started my collection of English songs one single record at a time whenever I saved enough to buy one. My greatest joy was when my late father gave me sufficient money to buy a LP (Long Play).

Remember the story of a mother used to ask her little daughter what was the important part of the body? After many years, she finally told her daughter that the important part of the body was her shoulder. However, she explained that the shoulder could hold the head of a friend or a loved one when they cried. I think whenever my wife put her head on my shoulder, she feels comforted, being loved, and protected. How about you, my friends?

Now let us listen to what Paul Anka had to sing in his song, “Put Your Head On My Shoulder”. Stay tuned and here it’s the lyrics:

Put your head on my shoulder
Hold me in your arms, baby
Squeeze me oh so tight
Show me that you love me too

Put your lips next to mine, dear
Won't you kiss me once, baby
Just a kiss goodnight, maybe
You and I will fall in love
(You and I will fall in love)

People say that love's a game
A game you just can't win
If there's a way
I'll find it someday
And then this fool will rush in

Put your head on my shoulder
Whisper in my ear, baby
Words I want to hear
Tell me, tell me that you love me too
(Tell me that you love me too)

Put your head on my shoulder
Whisper in my ear, baby
Words I want to hear, baby
Put your head on my shoulder

Click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RSWOu0ZNi0 to watch and listen to young Paul Anka singing 'Put Your Head On My Shoulder' on YouTube.

1 comment:

jmtan2007.blogspot.com said...

Paul Anka is a great song writer and singer. When he was a teen, he fell for an older girl who spunned him. Instead of sulking in despair, he wrote a song "Diana" about his love and the song became a great hit in US. It sold a million copies and made Paul an instant millionaire and a star. Paul went on to write and sang many hit songs like My Hometown, Lonely Boy, Dance Little Girl, Tonite My Love Tonite. He also wrote the theme song for the war movie THE LONGEST DAY. He wrote the lyrics for MY WAY sung by Frank Sinatra. That was a French song, but Paul Anka wrote the English lyrics and it became a great hit. It was also former PM Mahathir's favourite song when he was the PM bc he always did things his way and would not tolerate any opposition.