Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I Hope You Sing - I Want To Hold Your Hand


My 3rd cousin brother bought me my 1st Beatles LP record when I visited him in Muar, Johor. That was during the year-end school holidays in 1963. I was so excited when I brought it back to Kuala Lipis. After checking around, I found that there were no Beatles records on sales in this small town, a former capital of Pahang. I started playing the Beatles songs to my friends in my father’s shop (Bakauwali Tailor) almost every afternoon after school.

The gramophone (record player) was belonged to my 2nd cousin brother who worked as a tailor for my late father. My 1st cousin brother was also a tailor in the shop. There were altogether about 8 tailors employed by my father and he was the main cutter. Most of them were Hakka speaking and none of them was English speaking. Nevertheless, they enjoyed listening to the English songs blasted aloud from the loud speakers when I started playing the records. At times we could hear some of them singing along “Yeah Yeah Yeah” with the Beatles! Amazing, isn’t it? Unknowingly, they too became the Beatles’ fans!

Oh Yeah! I was so crazy about the Beatles at that period of time that I copied the images of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr and ink-printed on my T-shirt. I felt so proud of wearing it and showing off to my friends. What a good sign of Beatlemania!

I believe many of us, including the new generation of listeners, still love the songs of the Beatles. I hope you sing - this beautiful song of the Beatles' “I Want To Hold Your Hand”:

Oh yeah, I’ll tell you something,
I think you'll understand.
When I’ll say that something
I want to hold your hand,
I want to hold your hand,
I want to hold your hand.

Oh please, say to me
You'll let me be your man
And please, say to me
You'll let me hold your hand.
Now let me hold your hand,
I want to hold your hand.

And when I touch you I feel happy inside.
It's such a feeling that my love
I can't hide, I can't hide, I can't hide.

Yeah, you've got that something,
I think you'll understand.
When I’ll say that something
I want to hold your hand,
I want to hold your hand,
I want to hold your hand.

And when I touch you I feel happy inside.
It's such a feeling that my love
I can't hide, I can't hide, I can't hide.

Yeah, you've got that something,
I think you'll understand.
When I’ll feel that something
I want to hold your hand,
I want to hold your hand,
I want to hold your hand.
Click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iim6s8Ea_bE to watch and listen to The Beatles singing 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' on YouTube.

No comments: